Policies – Schaefer Center for the Performing Arts
The health and safety of our audiences, artists and staff is of paramount importance to us. For that reason, we have adopted policies and procedures consistent with guidelines established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, and Appalachian State University.
These policies and procedures, which are outlined below, are temporary and will apply to all events presented by the Office of Arts & Cultural Programs (OACP), including all events scheduled at the Schaefer Center and other venues. We realize that these changes will involve some level of inconvenience for our patrons in the short term. However, surveys of our audiences have confirmed their willingness to accommodate these changes in the interest of public safety. We are grateful for your cooperation and understanding.
Ticketing and Seating
- Tickets are available online, by phone and in-person at the Schaefer Center Box Office.
- Seating has been redesigned and configured in pods of two, four and six to maximize seating opportunities and to maintain proper social distancing to provide safety and comfort for all patrons. The Box Office staff will strive to accommodate special seating requests, but seating availability is limited.
- Touch-free ticketing procedures will be utilized to minimize contact between ticket buyers and staff. Patrons can print their tickets at home by accessing their ticket inventory linked in their confirmation email, or the Box Office staff can assist anyone with seating prior to the show. No physical tickets available at Will Call.
- In the event of a performance cancellation, patrons will be offered the choice to either receive a credit for the full value of their tickets (to be applied to another event) or a full refund.
- In an effort to encourage patrons who are feeling ill or have been exposed to someone who is ill to stay home, the Schaefer Center is making all tickets fully refundable, right up until the time of the performance.
- The air filtration system at the Schaefer Center has been upgraded in recent years to optimize airflow and to ensure a safe environment for all who attend events in the venue.
- University housekeeping staff will diligently adhere to enhanced cleaning and disinfecting protocols, observed prior to, during, and after each event. On days when two shows are scheduled, a thorough cleaning of the facility will take place between events.
- Hand sanitation stations will be available throughout the facility.
On the Night of the Show…
For those who have not been vaccinated, the use of masks, covering the nose and the mouth, is required. In accordance with NC state guidelines, the use of masks covering the nose and the mouth is strongly encouraged for all audience members attending large public events.
All patrons, artists and staff are asked to maintain a six-foot distance at all times in common areas.
- Audiences entering and leaving performance venues will be asked to utilize entrance and egress procedures that minimize group contact.
- Doors will open 30 minutes prior to performances. Patrons are encouraged to go directly to their seats and refrain from gathering in the lobby. The use of the lobby will be limited to contact with box office staff and the use of restrooms.
- There will be no intermission for events.
- Concessions will not be available for indoor events, but patrons are welcome to bring a water bottle. No glass, please. No other outside food/beverages are permitted.
- In an effort to promote “touch-free” communication, there will be no distribution of a printed program. Program information is available in digital format HERE. Posters will be on site featuring a QR code to read all about the festival events and artists in this year’s interactive digital playbill.
- Parking is available in the Peacock Lot across Rivers Street, the Stadium Parking Lot behind the Center, or the Rivers Street and College Street parking decks.
- No photography or video is allowed, with the exception of written permission exclusively for media by the Marketing Dept.